Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Jumping on the Bandwagon

I can't really remember a time I sat down and wrote down a list of 'resolutions' for the upcoming year.

I am pretty goal oriented, but I am far from organized and sometimes take quite a while to fully finish a project.  I am the type of person that starts a fun project, gets bored half way through and eventually puts it in the trash, deals with it partially done or finishes it quickly and half-hearted.

I wish I was more organized and determined, but I am not.  I am a fly-by-the-seat-for-your-pants type of gal, a free spirit.  Making lists ties me down and typically sets me up for failure as I never complete everything on the list.

But, I have realized something recently.  When I don't have a list, I don't have anything to check off the things I have accomplished and done well.  I don't have any record of the fact that I did set out to do something and actually finished it. 

So, here is to 2012.  I am going to do what organized people do at the beginning of every year and make a list.  I am going to make it with 2 things in mind:  1) I am going to try my darnedest to accomplish every single item I write on my list by the end of 2012 and 2) I will not get discouraged if it doesn't happen, but be pleased with being able to finish at least some of them.

With that in mind, here is what I hope to accomplish and ways I hope to grow in 2012:

1.  Spend more time in prayer.  I am a 'hail mary' type of prayer most of the time.  I get in a sticky situation and send up a "Please help me, Lord" prayer, or have something great happen and shout out a quick, "Thanks, God, you're awesome."  I start each of my quiet times with prayer, but I want more purposeful prayer time in my day.  I want to spend time praying for specific people, things and guidance from the Lord.  My goal is to have 3 good prayer times per day.  One in the morning, one at my quiet time and one at night.  (Not setting specific times, as you can see, because this would be too binding for me :)

2. Have at least 4 quiet times per week.  Yes, I know this goal should really be 7, but I have young children, run a part-time, in-home daycare and sometimes it just doesn't happen.  I don't want to set myself up for failure here, people.  Four significant, sit-down, have-time-with-just-me-and-God times per week is what I know I can purpose to accomplish.

3.  Do at least 5 devotions with my kids per week.  We pray with them every night, we talk about God and Jesus every day in our house, but we haven't done too much to further their relationships and learning other than talking about what they learned in Sunday School and doing their AWANAs lessons.  This isn't enough in my mind, so I have ordered a book I hope will help us spur more conversations with them about loving Jesus.

4.  Memorize one Scripture passage per month.  Yes, again a small goal, but doable and if I manage to do more than this I will just be more pleased with myself!

5.  Purpose to ask my husband what I can do for him that day at least twice a week.  His two main love languages are physical touch and acts of service.  Just a way I can make sure I am keeping him feeling loved and honored.

6.  Keep my closets organized.  I have spent some time organizing my main closets the last few weeks and I want to make sure they stay that way.

7.  Spend less time on the computer.  I use it as my connection to the outside world and a source of communication with grown-ups when I am alone in a house with toddlers and preschoolers all day, but I have taken this too far and spend more time on it than with those toddlers some days and I really need to fix that. 

8.  Run the Lincoln Half Marathon in less time than I did last year.  My ultimate goal would be 2 hours, but that is setting the bar pretty high.  I am hoping for 2:05.

9.  Read this list at least once a month to remind myself of what I need to be doing to stay on track to accomplish my goals.  Also, post a blog update on how I am doing.  Accountability helps!

And with that, I sign off - I have kids to go color with!

No comments:

Post a Comment