Monday, January 9, 2012

Filling in the Holes

And He did it again.  So, last post, I had a really hard time gleaning something out of my selected passage for the day.  I read over and over and in many different versions and didn't come away with anything awe-inspiring, but a good reminder nonetheless.

I read on today and think, "Why didn't I just keep reading last time?  This makes it make a bit more sense."  But, had I just read on, I would have just skipped over the passage before and focused on the one that made sense to me.  Now, this next passage helps clarify the passage before, but then I wouldn't have thought and searched so hard, either, which is always a good lesson in itself.

Anyway, on to today's meaningful and much easier section of scripture.  1 Corinthians 1:26 asks what we were before God called us to be Christians.  Nothing, really.  We weren't wise, influential or of noble birth.  God chooses the weak to shame the strong, the things that are not to nullify the things that are. 

We are all full of holes.  As a popular Christian song says, "There's a God-shaped hole in all of us, and its a void only He can fill."  (I won't mention that the first few times I heard this song, I thought she was singing something about a bicycle....how Bi-Cyc-Le and God-Shaped-Hole sound alike I will never know.)  Back to the point.  If we had all of our 'poop in a group' so to say before we had God in our lives, it would have been way too easy to take all of the credit for ourselves.

Heaven knows I am far from having all my ducks in the same pond, let alone in a nice little row, so all the credit for anything I do worthwhile is always due to God.  Verse 30 says "It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God- that is our righteousness, holiness and redemption."  The thing I need to remember is to do a better job of voicing that credit to Him more than just inside my head. 

Sure, I offer up a "Thank you, Lord, for pulling that off" to Him after something goes right.  But if I am offered a compliment on it, how often do I just say, "Thank you." and forget to add in the, "It was totally a God thing." part of it?  Guess I'll add another thing to my, "Need to work on that" list.


Father, I am so glad that you can use me, even though I am full of flaws and holes and total imperfections.  Thank you for accepting me the way that I am and filling in the gaps that only you can completely fill.  Help me do a better job of thanking you for how you work through me and passing that thanks on to others, rather than just taking all the credit myself.  Keep using me however you can, Lord, and help me look for ways to serve you.

No comments:

Post a Comment