Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Firm Foundation

Today Paul talked about the foundation that is Jesus Christ and building on Him.

This hit me square in the gut as a mother.  As a pretty simple girl who doesn't see herself destined for leadership and teaching, my building pretty much rests on my kids.  (I am perfectly fine with this).  But what a calling that is!

I have three little minds and souls that need a solid foundation on which to grow.  If I start that foundation firm in Jesus Christ, when they are tested throughout life (when mommy isn't present), what has been built around them should be able to withstand the fire.  The work I put into my kids will be brought to light on the day that Christ returns or my kids get to heaven (for every mom I think we all pray that the aforementioned be the way they go). 

No pressure though.  Or is there?  As Christians, we are taught that God is in control.  This is even what Paul is saying here in 1 Cor. 3.  Christ is the foundation, if I build on that and the truth that He brings, that is all I can do.  If it is built with the gold of the message of Christ, the silver or God's Word, and the precious jewels of obedience it will survive the fires of life.  God is in control of what those fires will be and how they will get through them.  I have to trust Him.  I will build on the foundation of Christ and God's Word and pray that God will guide my teaching and my children through all of the tests. 

He knows exactly what they will go through on this earth.  He knows exactly what they need to be taught.  All I can do is faithfully and prayerfully seek His will and follow His lead.

God, thank you for speaking to me as a mom today.  Some days, the work can seem thankless, but in the end the reward will be more than I can even imagine.  Thank you for a solid foundation on which to raise my children.  Help me to teach them your truth and show them your love each and every day.  When the trials of raising them puts me through the testing fires, help me remember my foundation and how you teach me to respond in love.  I pray that they will receive your Son as their Savior and never turn from Him or your ways, but trust in the plan that you have for their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment