Monday, January 16, 2012

Reap, Sow and Grow

I have to admit, I am kind of glad to be done with the wisdom section of 1 Corinthians for right now.  God showed me a lot about learning and teaching and worldly wisdom vs. His wisdom, but all those wisdom's had my head spinning and forehead wrinkled in a constant confused look. 

Thankfully, today's reading in chapter 3 was a bit more clear cut for me.  Just like in the first chapter of 1 Corinthians, Paul is addressing his readers on arguments they are having about who they follow.  Here, Apollos or Paul.  Paul goes on to state that he and Apollos are merely servants of Christ.

Great verses on serving are found in this passage, "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.  So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.  The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose and each will be rewarded according to his own labor." (vs. 6-8)

This is a great reminder when we get caught up in serving and want recognition for the work we have done.  The recognition is not ours to be had.  We were merely being used as tools, a planter or a watering can.  God deserves all the glory for the growth that comes of it.   Reaping our reward and recognition will come on the other side of eternity.

I have decided that this is going to be the verse I will recite in my head for the Bible Study I decided to kick off this year.  God simply put the idea in my head to organize a group of women together to read a great book, by a great Christian woman with an awesome heart after God.  It is not my doing and God will hopefully help the women who attend to grow, as well as myself. 

I am hoping that God will also cause the group of women to grow in numbers as well, since there were only two of us at the first night.  (This, was my fault since I gave most women only 1 day notice if not less.  We should be up to 5-7 women this week!  Praise God)

I have to be faithful in believing that God will bring exactly the women He wants to grow from this book to the study and that I cannot take it as a personal reflection on whether or not people like me, if they do/do not do the study.

Father, I thank you for your faithfulness, your patience, and your power.  Thank you for using me as a tool to further growth in your kingdom.  Help me not get caught up in earthly recognition and rewards, but remember as I serve your kingdom so that you can make it grow, my rewards will be with you in heaven.  Help me not take things so personally and to only look to for you approval.

Photo taken from deviantart.com by ~mzdinolatino

No comments:

Post a Comment