Thursday, January 5, 2012

Division

Disclaimer: The following post is very opinionated, but this is my blog so I can do that. :) Just thought you might want to be warned before you read on.

I always liked math in school.  I was fairly decent at it.  Division included.  But division in the church is not something that is necessary, helpful or positive at all.  (Hows that for a quirky intro!?!?  :)


Here in 1 Corinthians, Paul is appealing to his brothers about being united.  I must admit I scoffed a bit (in my head anyway) when I read he wants them to always agree with one another and that they be perfectly united in mind and thought.  Seriously?  Is that possible?

Well, if it is in the Bible it has to be true.  However, I do believe that Paul is talking here on being united perfectly in their belief of Christ and not every action in their entire lives.  So, yes, it should be possible. 

We see this too often in our churches today, and I think I have touched on the topic before.  So many different churches exist today within the Christian faith.  So much importance is put on whether you are a Catholic or Lutheran or Baptist or Methodist.  I attend a non-denominational church so it is easy for me just to say that I am a Christian.  Plain and simple.  That is all there is to it.  Just like Paul is saying here, too many people are saying "I follow Martin Luther", or "I follow John Wesley."  This divides the house of God.  I am not implying that if you are a Lutheran or Methodist that you are not a Christian, but we need to be careful in what the key part is of our faith.  Our church or our Lord?

I don't quite get why we have to add in all the rigmarole that exists within many churches today.  The Bible.   That is it.  It is the ONE tool God provided us.  No catechism, no extra gospels, no specific written prayers outside of it, no other materials that were God-breathed.  I fully believe that the Bible is the only needed tool for following Christ.  Read it.  Know it. Believe it.  Live it. 

I am not saying other resources aren't useful in helping us grow, giving us inspiration or helping us understand something a little more clearly, but it all comes back to the Bible.  It needs to be the one thing we all agree on. 

And the central message of this, our Bible, cannot be divided, multiplied, added to or subtracted from.  No math going on here.  Christ was born the Son of God, lived a perfect life, died on the cross to pay the blood sacrifice for our sins, and rose on the 3rd day to live forever with His Father in Heaven. 

I follow Christ.  How about you?

Lord, you are all I need.  I thank you so much for the useful tool you gave us in your Word.  I am so glad I can sit with you whenever I want to hear your voice and glean your wisdom.  Help me keep that my main focus. Help me to not get caught up in other antics and fanfare.  I follow you.

No comments:

Post a Comment