Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Wrapping it Up

I continue to finish up Hebrews this week with my goal of starting a new book in January.  I have learned a great deal from the slow study of this book.  My goal for this week is to re-read all of my Hebrews posts and get a good overview of what God has shown me. 

My other goals are to figure out what book to move on to next and what my 'resolutions' will be for the new year as well.  God has put many different things on my heart and I am praying about which ones to pick, as there are so many I know I need to pick a few and really concentrate on those.  If I try to go at them all, I am sure to fail.

Currently the list to choose from includes: More time in prayer, memorizing scripture, continuing on with a focus on thankfulness, learning more about discipline, organizing almost every aspect of my life a little more efficiently, devotions with my kids, better consistency in quiet times, doing a study that focuses on encouraging my husband more, studying more about praising God, and I am sure there are others that He has put on my heart that I am forgetting to list.

These are all things that have come to mind in the last few weeks as I am thought and prayed about how to better myself as a Christian in the upcoming year.  Last year I tried to focus on a word, but I don't think I gave myself enough direction with it, as I piddled out on thinking about it after a few months.

So, I have some praying to do to figure it all out.  Any suggestions?  What are your plans for growing in your walk with Him for the upcoming year?

Just so I have a note of it, I did learn something new in my Hebrews reading again yesterday.  Sometimes I think I have never really read this book, even though I know I have.  There just must be some things I skimmed over too fast to really let it sink in, or God just chose not to open my eyes to it the past times I have read it.

In verses 11-14 of Chapter 13 it talks about how Jesus was crucified outside the city gates of Jerusalem.  Now, this I knew, but had never made the connection of the fact that sacrificial animals from the old covenant were burned outside the camp of Israel as well.  Another link.  The removal of the dead bodies of the sacrificed animals represented a removal of their sin, thus Jesus being taken from the city of Jerusalem signifies the removal of our sins as well.  We are to go to Him outside the camp "bearing the disgrace He bore." (v 13). 

Oh, how I love meeting Jesus wherever He is and wherever I am, knowing that He will make me clean again and accept me for who I am as long as I am seeking Him.

Lord, lead me.  I have so many hopes and desires, but I know that I cannot handle them all at once.  Growth  takes time and consistency.  I know myself well enough to know that if I try to tackle too many things at once, I will grow weary and lazy with all of them.  Show me how you want me to grow with you and with my family in the upcoming year.  Where should my focus of growing in you lie?  Thank you for leading me through Hebrews and the things you have taught me.  Thank you for bearing my disgrace and carrying away my sins.  There are not enough words given to us to express the thanks you deserve for this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment