Friday, October 28, 2011

Priests and The Law

OK, so for the past couple of days I have been reading in Hebrews about the priesthood and the Aaronic/Levitical line and the line of Melchizedek.  I must admit I was totally lost without the sub notes in my Study Bible. 

At first glance of the section titles I thought, "Seriously, what am I going to get from this priest stuff, Lord?"  And even after a few readings and a couple of days I still am not completely sure.  But, at least now I am starting to figure it out a bit and gleaning some bit of wisdom out of it so that I can feel good about moving on.

The Mosaic law, of course, was tragically flawed.  Not by God, but in the fact that there is no way any of us flawed human beings ever could have followed it well enough to be forgiven.  My sub notes say "The law is holy and good (Rom 7:12) but it is not able to make right those who sin by breaking it, nor can it give the power necessary to fulfill its demands.  How true that is.

So, no one from the line of Aaron could fulfill God's promise in completing his oath.  Thus, one from the line of Melchizedek did, and that, of course, is Jesus.

I am not sure if I have still made complete sense out of it, but I do get the fact that I am very thankful to be under the new covenant instead of the old one.  Only Jesus can get us there.  He is the new covenant.  He can make us right after we sin.

The other thing I love about the new covenant is the ability to approach God on my own.  I can go straight to Him and not have to pass through any priest to confess my sins, bear my soul and beg forgiveness.  He is right there.  Always. 

Lord, I am speechless at your love.  You have given me the easy way out.  While this life may not always be easy and choices may not always be easy, you have provided me with an easy button.  Your Son.  I am so thankful for that.  So thankful for your new covenant with me and anyone else who will accept you in his/her heart.  As I keep reading in this section, help me to see what you would have me learn.  Open my eyes to your Word and love.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea that Jesus is our easy button. So very true.

    ReplyDelete