Thursday, October 13, 2011

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead

Oh, this saying makes me smile every time I think of it.  It is something I often hear from my husband.  I usually just chuckle at it and move on, but my reading today in Hebrews 4: 1-5 gave me an entirely different perspective on a verse my husband often teases me with.

In this passage author of Hebrews reminds us of the rest promised by God.  My Study Bible tells me the original promise of rest was a physical promise of rest given to the Isrealites under Moses and finally granted under Joshua in Canaan.  The promise of the rest was only gained through faith in God and His promise. 

Obviously, here the 'rest' referred to is eternal rest in Christ.  Again, a rest only gained through faith.  So, it seems my intelligent husband is correct once again. (I knew I married that handsome man for so many reasons!)  I will get to 'sleep' when I am dead.  Even though we might have to exchange a few words in this phrase to make it fully true.  It might be a bit more applicable if it were to say, "I will get to rest when I am in heaven." 

What a great thing to remember.  On those days where I feel like I have so much to get done that I want to skip my quiet time with God, those days where my list seems a mile long but I want nothing more than to lay my head on a pillow and not wake up until the next morning.  Reminding myself that God will give me the strength I need to make it through the day and reward me with eternal rest for my faithfulness, will surely get me through.

Isaiah 40:31 But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary.  They will walk and not be faint.

Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Father, I thank you that you grant me rest.  I thank you that I can find the strength I need to get me through those days where all I want to do is rest.  You are so good to me, God.  Your promises are always true and I can have eternal rest in you.  Help me remember that you will renew my strength if only I place my hope in you and that hope comes from spending time with you.  Remind me that it is this time with you where my strength is built up for the times I need it most.  I pray for all those that do not have your strength.  Give me the opportunity to share it with them and the good news that they too can have it themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment