Friday, October 14, 2011

Into the Depths

"The Word of God is living and active, sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."  Hebrews 4:12

I love this verse.  It is such a good one to counteract those that believe God's Word is outdated.  They think that so many principles of the Bible don't apply to them anymore because it was such another place and time. 

Hello?  Ever read the Old Testament?  I stop and think of how corrupted this world is today.  Sex isn't something held in high regard for husband and wife, it is a form of entertainment.  Violence is unbelievably horrid.  Families are broken.  War is among us.  The list could go on and on.  But if you read through the old testament and even some things mentioned in the New Testament, you can see that all of these things were present then as well. 

They may have been in another form and not exploited by every form of media we have today, but they were there.  God's Word is alive and applicable to all of us. 

This verse even tells us it is sharp and can penetrate to the depths of our soul.  God's Word is meant to touch our hearts.  That is what He wants it to do.  God wants us to take His Word in our hearts, have a conversation with Him and apply what He teaches us to our lives.  Today.

Do you let God's Word pierce through you and judge your thoughts?  I think in this passage a double-edged sword is meant to be a good thing.  It is meant to get through our thick skulls and tough skin and get into our hearts and minds and souls.

Father, help me apply your Word to my life today.  Get it through my tough exterior and into the softness of my soul.  Give me your wisdom through the Holy Spirit.  Grant me the use of this wisdom to share with others who might think that the gift you left us in the Bible is dead.  To show them that it is very much alive and true.  I thank you for that gift and the instructions and reassurance left in it.  Help me find peace, comfort, guidance and life-application in it daily as I seek time with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment