Friday, November 4, 2011

True Tabernacle

Once again drowning in things I am finding a bit over my head, but through the grace of God and knowledge of the Holy Spirit I am starting to tread some water.

Moving on from Melchizedek, I am finding, in Hebrews 8, more on the covenants.  The entire chapter 8 is devoted to edifying the new covenant much better than the old.  I love how it says in verses 7-8 "For if there had been nothing wrong with the first covenant, no place would have been sought for another.  But God found a fault with the people and said,..."  Then it goes on to quote Jeremiah 31:31-34, the prophetic announcement of the new covenant to come. 

God's covenant wasn't flawed, we were, and still are.  So, He had to make a way out for us that didn't depend much on us and our actions.  Only one true decision.  To follow Christ.

This is a picture of what the tabernacle built by Moses might have looked like
OK, so onto why I titled this "True Tabernacle".  One main thing that stuck out to me this week while reading chapter 8 was the very beginning where it talks about Moses building the tabernacle.  I usually always get bored while reading all the descriptions of measurements and placements of what goes where and how big it is supposed to be and what it is supposed to be made out of, when they are reciting the buildings to be erected in the Old Testament.  But this caught my attention.  It says in verse 5 that Moses was given these exact instructions because it was to be a shadow of the one in heaven. 

How have I missed that before?  I had no idea that is why God was so specific about all of his instructions.  How cool is that?  A total glimpse of what is to come.  Now, of course, as stated in these verses as well, Moses' version was imperfect and temporary, and really there is no earthly way to duplicate something we will experience in heaven.  But, now I get it a little better and might try to read through it all to comprehend. 

Well, I hope my totally new insight (yes, I realize I am a bit slow and probably should have known this a long time ago, but that's just me.  I miss things like this often.), helped you in some way as well.

Father, as you reveal more to me about your Word, I pray you will continue to keep me hungered for more.  Thank you for showing me your insights and giving me a possible glimpse of what is to come.  Again, I beg of your forgiveness as I am a sinful being, but thank you for your new covenant for me in Jesus.  Thank you that I can go into your presence in the inner sanctuary of your tabernacle through His blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment