Wednesday, October 26, 2011

God's Promises

This is yesterday's post I didn't get finished until now...
Numbers 23:19: God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?

God's promises are all throughout the Bible.  We find them from the first promise of offspring to Moses, to the promise land to promising His return.  It is so good to know we can always count on something.  God, never lies, He never lets us down and He is always there. 

Why do I always seem to forget this?  Why, when things aren't going my way, do I think God is working against me?

OK, so I know the following story isn't a life-altering, majorly dramatic life event, but it is so often times the little things that trip me up more than the big ones.  Maybe that is because, while I have had my fair share of 'events',  I haven't had a ton of big ones to deal with.  Of which I am very thankful.

Anyway, just earlier today, I pulled the whole, "Why, God?" thing.  I had just gotten all four children in my house asleep.  It had been one of those mornings, followed by an even worse night.  I had gone to bed at 9:15 with a horrid migraine, got woken up (to find out I still had a bad headache) at 2 a.m. by my son with growing pains and the alarm went off way too early.  That morning had consisted of rushing the kids out the door to the bus and realizing they hadn't brushed their teeth, a toddler screaming at me most of the morning, a fussy baby and a defiant almost two-year-old who required 4 spankings before 11 a.m.  So, at 1:15 when I finally got all of them laid down I was ready to curl up on the couch with a blanket and my Bible, read and hopefully fall asleep myself.  God had another plan that I didn't appreciate at that moment.  The baby woke up literally as soon as I plumped my rump down on the couch.  Ahhhhh!

Now, I don't know if I specifically gained anything from that moment, but I did as God, "Why?"  Why can't I just get a little rest.  I was going to spend time with you.  Why would you interrupt that? 

Then, guess what I read later, after I got the baby settle down enough to play on his own so I could read.  Yep.  God's promises.  Which in turn remind me that He is the only One who will never let me down.  I need to find rest in His promise of eternal rest and seek to find what He has to teach me in finding strength in Him rather than on my own. 

I think this kind of goes back to I'll Sleep When I'm Dead as well.  Wasn't it one of God's promises? 

Heb. 6:18-19a God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us my be greatly encouraged.  We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. 

God, remind me to trust in your promises and not my selfish desires.  Thank you that you never change, you never lie and your promises are always completed in your own time.  Help me to have complete faith in your plan for even the little things in my life, like naps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment