Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Repainting the Mental Picture

When I picture Jesus in my thoughts I see a gentle man with soft eyes and hands, brown flowing hair, robes for his clothes and sandals on his feet.  I see what I have seen portrayed in hundreds of children's Bibles and books and paintings of the Last Supper and even on a crucifix. 

But, that was Jesus when he lived here on earth as a man.  While reading Revelation today, John described what Jesus looks like in His heavenly form.  Something, I can't even quite grasp.  And yet, when I think of all the word- illustrations John includes, I still see my gentle, loving Lord.

It is hard to re-evaluate what you have had stuck in your head since childhood, but it is true.  When we get to meet Him face to face, I am guessing He will not look like the man He was here on earth.  He is God.  John describes a man with white-like-snow hair, a long robe with a golden sash, His eyes as bright as fire flames, and His feet like polished bronze.  Definitely not the soft-skinned, gentle-eyed and robed man I envision on a daily basis. 

Secondly, it says that when He spoke his voice thundered like mighty ocean waves.  Yet another thing that doesn't match my mental perception.  Again, I hardly ever think of Christ raising His voice (except maybe that time he overturned all the tables in the temple courts).  And, yes, He may not be raising His voice, but mighty ocean waves are far from soft-spoken in my book.

The description of his mouth backs this up as well.  A sharp two-edged sword is used to depict what I understand as His tongue.  Which is a perfect picture of Hebrews 4:12  "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

I think it is time I repaint the image in my head of Christ.  He has changed.  He no longer lives in His earthly body.  He is God and does not look like man.  I am going to try and carry this version of Him in my mind as I continue through the book of Revelation.  What a mighty and powerful Lord we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment