Friday, November 9, 2012

Its Gonna Happen

I grew up reciting the verses I read today in church every week.  It wasn't until I was in college and started a real relationship with Christ that I learned they actually came from the Bible and weren't just part of the "Lutheran Book of Worship." (The verses might have been cited in the LBW, but I just never paid attention.  I might have to check that out next time I go to church back home.)

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and His word has no place in our lives." 1 John 1:8-10

I love these verses now.  Back then, it was just part of the routine; what you said in church because everyone else did. (Now, don't get me wrong, some Lutherans might actually understand this and mean the words, I'm just saying the majority of the ones I was around didn't.)  I love these verses because here, through John, God tells us that we are screw ups.  He isn't going to sugar coat it or hide it under a rug.  He flat out tells us we are sinners, and if we try to deny it, it is akin to denying Christ. 

So, I don't love the fact that I am a sinner, and God isn't giving me permission to sin, He is just telling me He knows its going to happen and as long as I fess up to it and try to do it right the next time, He will forgive me. 

It is the fessing up part that gets a little tricky.  I hate to admit when I screw up.  I have this little pride issue.  But God tells me here that it must be done.  The other issue I have with the general "recitation" of this passage is that, while confessing you sin, it isn't confessing the sin itself, which I feel is a major part of the confession God desires.  We have to recognize when and where we sinned and let God know that we know we messed it up.  (Somewhat like a catholic confession, only I am all about cutting out the middle man and going straight to the Savior Himself .) 

Now, I am not saying that I know this to be a hard fact, but it is my interpretation of what I have felt the Holy Spirit teach me about what scripture tells me about confessing sins.  Please feel free to share what you have learned on this topic as well. 

So I must swallow my pride, own up to my actions and ask for His grace and mercy once again.  Praise Him that He gives it so freely!!

No comments:

Post a Comment