Thursday, November 8, 2012

In the Light

I often struggle with those in my life that claim to know Christ and believe in His death on the cross, but do not live their lives any differently.  I struggle with knowing whether or not they will join me in heaven.  I struggle with not knowing how to make them understand the difference.  I struggle with not wanting to make it seem like I "know better" or "am better" than they are because I recognize this difference and they don't think it is important or that they are just fine where they are.

1 John 1:6-7 are some of the verses that back up my worst fear with this situation.  The fear that 'head knowledge' of Christ is not enough and many of my loved ones will 'miss the boat'.  It is a full-life change and heart change that must occur to really truly know Christ.  He states, "If we claim to have fellowship with Him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.  But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin."

These verses tell us that our lives must change after receiving the blood of Christ for our sins.  We cannot go on living in sin or as if nothing has changed.  We have to make the decision to live in His light and for Him.  This takes change.  It means recognizing the sin and making a conscious effort to rid it from our lives.  It means making sacrifices and different choices and seeking Him first.

I also love how this passage makes it clear that accepting Christ fully does not mean that we cannot sit or won't sin ever again.   It clarifies that His blood will purify it for us when it does happen.  And it will.  We are all human, and no matter how much we seek God with our whole hearts we are bound to screw up at some point.  If we could live sinless lives we wouldn't have the need for Him, but trying our hardest to reach that point brings us closer to Him in the process.  For both of these things I am very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment