Monday, October 15, 2012

Gentle Nudges

Sometimes God gives me "Spiritual Spankings", sometimes he gives me what feels like a slap upside the head and others it is just a gentle nudge.  You know, one of those things that you get the sense He just keeps sending little reminders to you about?  You might read it in a book, hear it in a conversation with a friend and then read it in your Bible.

I think God realizes that, with me, it takes a few time before I might catch on.  In the past week, my nudge has been on verse memorization.

My good friend, who I have the pleasure of meeting with weekly to discuss our quiet times, is amazing at this task.  In fact, in our discussion last week she mentioned how she memorized James last year.  James!  An entire book of the Bible.  She also stated that she was feeling called to work on a chapter of Romans.  A whole chapter.  And I whine and come up with excuses on a doing a couple of verses?  (She is such an inspiration.)  Anyway, my friend and I were not talking, in any sense, about memorizing scripture.  It was just something she mentioned as we were discussing something else.

Then, in my Bible Study book that I am doing with some fabulous gals at my church, the author mentioned memorizing scripture as a way to keep yourself "fit" spiritually.  This comment led to a discussion on the topic in our gathering last Wednesday.  We all stated the general excuses as to why we don't think we can do it or why we aren't any good at it and then moved on. 

Now, I read in 2 Peter 3:1-2 and I feel a gentle nudge once again.  Verse 2 says, "I want you to recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets and the command given by our Lord and Savior through your apostles"  So, I realize that Peter might not specifically be talking about memorizing the Bible here, but this was what the Holy Spirit whispered in my ear about this one. 

I am bad at memorization of verses.  Why?  Because I tell myself I am bad at it.  I don't put the effort in that I should.  I start off all in and then piddle out after a few weeks because I get 'busy'.  I don't commit myself to "hiding His Word in my heart" (I know verses but am terrible at remembering where they are from).

Remember my nice long resolution list?  Epic fail.  (OK so I have succeeded a little bit on some of them, but it is still quite disappointing.  Imperfect progress, right Lysa T.?? - reference from "Unglued")

Well, I am getting up, dusting off my pants and trying again.  I am also dragging my Bible Study gals in with me.  I started them off with the verse I started earlier.  "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."  Psalm 119:11  A verse I know well from a song we sang in choir that contained it, but again, I had to look up the reference for it.  I plan on adding a new one each week for us to keep each other accountable on.  Hopefully, I stick to it.  :)

You just have to love those gentle nudges.  The times when you feel like it is all people around you can talk about, when all the books you pick up mention it, and you see it in writing in the sky.   OK maybe not that obvious, but you get my drift.  :)  Do you have these times too?  Pleas pray for me that I would hide His Word in my heart and stop coming up with excuses to get around it.

2 comments:

  1. I need to memorize more too. One time when I was trying to do better about memorizing, I worked on it while running on a treadmill. It worked for me. Now I mainly memorize via kids music (Seeds family worship). Thanks for calling the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea for the treadmill. I'll have to try that. I'll look into the music too. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete