Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gloom and Doom

OK, so while on my blogging sabbatical, I had been reading 2 Peter 2 which is part of the reason for my sabbatical.  Have you read it?  Gloom and doom.  "Their condemnation has long been hanging over them.....to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgement while continuing their punishment.....They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done...They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity...."

Do you see why I had a hard time coming up with anything? 

I have been reading it over slowly, trying to figure out what God is trying to teach me through it.  I have come to the conclusion that it is for me to figure out at a later date.  He wanted me to read it to know it was there.  I can guarantee that after these 10 days of slowly going through, reading and re-reading parts of this chapter in 2 Peter I won't soon forget where this information lies.

I think is is a warning that temptation comes.  It happens to all of us.  We see 'fun' in the world or the 'freedom' that is perceived by having no morals.  It is tempting to stray from God's will.  It is just easier to 'go with the flow' and fit in with modern society.  But those who do and ignore God's Word and God's ways will reap this gloom and doom and then all the 'fun' is over.

I think someday, when I am terribly tempted to put God "off" for a minute to just fit in with the crowd, these verses of 2 Peter 2 will come back to me.  They will remind me that "If {I} have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and {am} again entangled in it and overcome, {I am} worse off at the end than {I was} at the beginning. (vs 20)

I have to remember that I might not receive 'revelations' from the Holy Spirit for right here and right now every time I sit and read my Bible, but many times, God is preparing in advance works for me to do, (Eph. 2:10) and I just need to hide those words in my heart for just that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment