Friday, December 9, 2011

The Sting of Discipline

I am not thinking it is very fun, this discipline stuff.  It is hard work. 

When it comes to disciplining a very curious, ornery, sassy 2-year-old it is especially hard.  I think most days God is disciplining me through the necessity to discipline her.  Especially the days that she does the same thing over and over and over.  She gets disciplined (spankings in our house) every single time the offense occurs, then an age appropriate discussion on why it was wrong and finally has to make it right.  It takes a while to get this all done and by the 3rd time she does the same thing in one day I have usually hit my boiling point.

Disciplining children takes some major parental discipline as well.  I have found God is probably feeling the same way about me that I do about my daughter every time I loose my cool with her and fail to discipline in the right way.  "Geez, Shauna, when are you going to figure this out.  Screaming at them doesn't work.  My way works.  Get back to it." 

I need to revert to Hebrews 12 every time I get tired of the whole rigmarole.  God disciplines me because I am His true child so that I may share in His holiness.  No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful.  Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. v. 11

Well, by the time I have this one disciplined I would think I would be fully disciplined as well and ready for some peace. 

Once again, Shauna, run with perseverance the race marked out for you.  My race is motherhood.  Discipline is part of the course.  Fix my eyes on Him and I will make it through to righteousness and peace.

Holy Father, it seems so far away.  The day where I won't have to scold and spank a child for disobedience.  Help me endure and remind me that once the days are gone, I will long for them to be back.  Thank you for your gentle discipline on me in this area.  Each time I get close to my boiling point bring my heart back to you.  Help me be the mother you want me to be and to discipline my children in righteousness.  Thank you for your love and grace when I screw up.  Bring me closer to you through the discipline you provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment