Thursday, December 1, 2011

By Faith

More on faith from chapter 11 in Hebrews.

I love how it goes on through the chapter with such a great theme.  By faith Noah built the ark.  By faith Abraham went where he was told and in his very old age received a child.  By faith Abraham offered his son as a sacrifice.   By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau.  By faith Jacob blessed Joseph's sons.  By faith Joseph spoke up.  By faith Moses' parents went against the Pharaoh's law.  By faith Moses returned to his people.  By faith the Isrealites passed through the Red Sea.  By faith the walls of Jericho fell.  By faith Rahab was saved. 

All these things happened because of faith in God.  And this is such a short list of all the acts of faith in the Bible. 

What can God accomplish because of faith?  Anything. 

It makes me stop and think whether or not I am keeping enough faith to be useful.  What could God accomplish because of my faith?  Most days a fair amount.  Others it would be amazing if my faith could get a pot of water on the hot stove to boil.  But, why am I not confident that my faith could accomplish such feats as listed above?

What a challenge this has given me.  Faith enough to save all species of animals from certain death.  Faith enough to save an entire Hebrew nation.  Faith enough to offer up my only son as a sacrifice.  Do I have this kind of faith?  I hope to get there. 

I think faith is always a work in progress for me, final only on the day I see Jesus face-to-face.  But how sad it would be to get there and have to say, "Well, I was planning on working on that, God.". I think I'll start working a little harder right now.

Oh, to have the faith of these people, Father.   I know it is not something that comes freely, but attained through a life of following and trusting, experiencing and praying.  I know you can accomplish great things through me if only I allow you to.  Remind me, Father, when my faith faulters that you can do great things through anything, any person and any situation.  I thank you for your amazing power to do this.  Help my faith grow.  Help me trust in you always to know you are God and you are always in control. 

No comments:

Post a Comment