Thursday, December 22, 2011

The 'List'

Oh that lovely word that loves to haunt me.  Contentment.  I am the queen of 'never quite enough'. 

God handed me the perfect verses to read today as we are just three days away from Christmas.  The wonderful day to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior and to ask for everything we think we need.  Right.  Now. 

I love how my friend and fellow blogger put it in her post last Friday and earlier this week about Christmas making us want things we didn't think we needed last week and needing it to be 'reclaimed'. 

It is so true that Christmas has gone commercial and it is a true struggle to keep Christ at the center.  It is hard to stay content during the season of giving, because it is so hard to not look at all the new shiny things and lists and not put a few things on yours as well...even if it is just a mental one.

There is always something on my wish list.  For the last two years it has been my dream digital SLR camera.  I finally got it 2 weeks ago and I couldn't be more thrilled.  We had a few other more important things to save our pennies for first and then I got to save up for my dream camera.  Since we are big believers in paying cash for everything, I had to be patient.  But, wouldn't you believe that as soon as the thing I had been waiting for was crossed off my list, it only took me a week to add something else to it?

I love the verses I read at the beginning if Hebrews 13 today.  "Entertain strangers for you could be entertaining angels."  Perfect for the season of parties and get-togethers.  "Remember the prisoners."  I think this could be literal and figurative.  We are all kept prison by something.  A past that haunts us.  A sin we can't seem to let go.  A need we think we have.  A love one we lost but haven't let go.  "Honor your marriage."  What a great reminder during this time of year where kids and family-get-togethers can seem to take over and your spouse can easily get put on the back burner.  "Keep yourself from the love of money."  Oh, so many places to go with this one.  And "Be content with what you have."

Yep.  That one is screaming at me.  Be content with what you have.  How can I not be?  I have a beautiful family with 3 healthy (and I must say adorable) children and a devoted, hard-working  husband.  A beautiful home, fully furnished and decorated.  A car in each garage stall.  A pantry and fridge and freezer jam packed full of food.  Money in my bank account.  Drawers and closets full of clothes and shoes....the list could go on and on.  But, yet, I still have a 'list'. 

Why do I struggle so with 'I wants'?  I think God might be hinting at my word for the upcoming year.....

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." (Duet. 31:6)  This is truly all I need to be content.

Do you have a long 'list' that seems to grow this time of year?  I challenge you to put it on paper and write this verse over the top of it.  How does that make your 'list' look now.

Contentment.  Only God can get us there.

During this Christmas season of giving and getting, Lord, help me remember you above all.  Help me remember that tiny little baby in a wooden box meant to feed barn animals.  Show me His selfless journey here on earth from one wooden structure to another.  Point me to the cross where he bore my sins and selfishness instead of my list of desires.  Put the desire in my heart to only seek you and your heart.  Help me find my contentment in you alone and the grace you have given, the best gift of all.

1 comment: