Thursday, December 8, 2011

Gets Me Every Time

OK.  So I threw my little pity party yesterday and God smacked me in the face with it today.
 
Hebrews 12:1-3 humbled me today.  Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

1.  Sin.  Throw off sin that is entangling me and hindering me.  I was being totally prideful.  I wanted my family to come see me.  To see what I had been doing and working so hard on.  Focusing on the fact they had not come to see me act, to see me sing completely hindered me from focusing on what I needed to when the production was over.  Him.  What had I done to further His kingdom?  Not to further what others thought of me or did for me.  Had I done all that work for His glory or my own?  Ouch.  That stings a bit. 

2.  Fix my eyes on Him.  Run the race, Shauna.  I should know this one well as I often recite this to myself while in the throws of a long run and want to give up.  How can I give up so easily on a measly little workout in comparison to what Christ did for me.  It helps me get through. 

In light of my recent selfishness I had my eyes fixed on myself and not on Him.  He endured much more than his family missing a performance he worked hard on.  He suffered on the cross. For you.  For me.  Simply, that is all there is to it. 

Do not grow weary and lose heart.  Do not cry your eyes out on a drive home because a few of your family members didn't make it to watch you in a Christmas musical that you were being prideful about.  Fix your eyes on Him.

God, you do it every time.  You smack me upside the back of my head to help me see what is keeping me from you.  Even though it hurts (a lot) sometimes, thank you.  Help me focus on what is really important.  Keep the smacks coming so that I can continue to grow and learn.  Thank you for your discipline in this way, even if it isn't always fun to learn.  I know if I don't grow weary and lose heart it will all be worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment