Monday, November 21, 2011

Oh Me of Little Faith

Yes, I know the title isn't quite correct, but that is the point.

If you are familiar with the Bible and have been reading any of my posts lately you can probably guess where I am right now:  Hebrews 11.

A few of my favorite verses rest here because they are such great reminders to me every day and in every situation of what it means to trust in God.

"Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." v. 1 and "Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." v. 6

So often I struggle with faith.  Not in the overall faith and belief in God type of faith, but in the trusting Him and giving Him complete control of every situation type of faith.  Why is it so hard to let go?  Why do I just want to do it my way and hope that God will be along for the ride?  I need to loosen the grip, better yet, release it and trust in what I do not see.  It is so easy to be a control freak, but so hard to go by faith. 

But if I do let go, Hebrews tells me that I will be pleasing Him and He will reward me.  Should that be a great motivation?  Heck, just the fact that He gave His only Son to die for my sins should be all the motivation I need, but He tells me here that He will be pleased with me and reward me.  And we aren't talking a great piece of chocolate cheesecake type of reward or a pretty plaque to hang on my wall.  We are talking heavenly reward.  I can't even imagine what chocolate will be like in heaven ;)!  Amazing.

Father, help me let go. Give me faith like a child in you.  Move me past wanting control and into trusting you and your plan completely.  You have done so many amazing things for me already and brought me through so much.  Help me remember when the hard times come or when my grip wants to tighten that it is by my faith that I please you.  It is in the depths of my heart that I trust you and can always count on you.  Give me the assurance that I know comes from you, in trusting that your plan will prevail.  Maybe not on my terms or how I might have hoped for, but always for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment