Friday, September 9, 2011

Another Brother

I, again, read and re-read my section of scripture today for my quiet time.  Once again, upon finishing going "what the heck did that say?" in my head.  So, I got out another translation to see if that would help me out any more.  Sadly, not really. 

Ugh.  I hate days like this.  When you just feel too dumb to really understand what God is trying to tell you.  Like the Bible was written on a totally different level than where you are.  But I know that this is not what God intends at all.  He is a real and personal God and His Word is meant for all of us.  Why do I have to remind myself of that so often?

So, I stopped, again, prayed for some understanding, and read it over, again and again.  Actually, a total of five times and the subtext in my Study Bible before a light finally came on.

No huge revelations or anything very deep, but what I did gather from my reading today (Hebrews 2:10-13) were two simple things that I have kind of always known but never really thought about their significance all that much.

1) Christ's ability to identify with us was made perfect (or complete) in his suffering endured on the cross.  Christ lived a sinless life, but was not void of ridicule, hardships or sadness while on the earth.  He was able to identify with us on this level, but through His torture and death on the cross He became able to truly identify and empathize with us on a physical level I hope I never have to endure.  Oh, does that make me ever so thankful for the sacrifice He completely is.  Christ entirely understands it all because He lived it.  Amazing.

2) Through my cleansing of His blood, Christ is not ashamed to call me His sister.  What a compliment this is.  Heck, I know there are times where my own flesh and blood siblings would like to disown me as their sister (OK probably not seriously, but you know what I mean), but Christ, who lived a blameless life, is not ashamed of me.  And, frankly, He knows a heck of a lot more about me than my siblings.  What an honor it is to love the same Father and be His sister.

Phew, dumb moment gone.  Thank you, Holy Spirit, for speaking to me today and reminding me that God knows exactly what I need to hear and read and understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment