Sunday, September 1, 2013

Who You Talkin' To?

I have been reading through Proverbs over the last month or so.  Looking for wisdom, insight and direction.  But, I have been in such a hurry to find them, I think I missed most of what is actually there, so I am starting over.

I found myself going through Proverbs finding nuggets to use with my children on wisdom, hard work and discipline.  Good stuff.  Stuff they need to know and hear.  Stuff I need to teach them.  But I think in searching for things for my kids, I was missing the stuff for me.  How do I teach it to my children if I don't know it myself first?

I love how much they talk about fools in Proverbs.  Fools reject wisdom and discipline (1:7), fools are destroyed by their complacency (1:32), and much more to come.  And once again it is so easy to lump the "fools" onto someone else because I consider myself a pretty stand-up gal.  I love how my footnotes remind me that in fools, they do not mean stupid people, but people who have a character deficiency, many of which I can suffer from at certain times or in mood swings of my life. 

God reminds me that in my time with Him, when it is just us hanging out in His Word, He is speaking to me.  Not my children.  Not some random fool at whom I can point my finger.  Me and Him.  Read these words and learn these lessons for me.   Then, if needed I can pass them on to others.  But one cannot teach if one isn't willing to learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment