Wednesday, August 29, 2012

More Shepherding

Yesterday, I sat and thought and prayed on shepherding my kids and following the example of the True Good Shepherd.  I also chatted about my thoughts with my friend and we realized that while we kind of knew what a shepherd was we didn't really know the true definition.

Dictionary.com defines it as
1. a person who herds, tends, and guards sheep.
2. a person who protects, guides, or watches over a person or group of people.
3. a member of the clergy.
4. the Shepherd, Jesus Christ.
 
Well, I am definitely not #3 or #4 and I guess if you are talking in true terms of sheep, I am not #1 either. 

The definition actually goes quite well with what we were discussing.  Shepherds don't force sheep places and they don't lead them on ropes.  They guide.  They protect.  They watch over.
 
What a perfect definition of a mom.  Enough said.
 
Now, my friend also pointed out that I have been put in a shepherding position with my Bible Study as well.  I have made it quite clear that I am not the leader of the group, nor will I have all the answers or anywhere close to it.  I simply pick out the book and set up the group.  Shepherd.  I guide it along.  It is really all I can do.  Most of the gals in my Bible study know more than I do.  :)
 
I just love was the end of 1 Peter 5:3 and verse 4 says though.  It is such an encouragement for moms shepherding over their little flocks and even those trying to do what God is calling them to shepherd in other ways.  "...being examples to the flock.  And when the Chief Shepherd appears you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away."
 
I am called to guide, protect and watch over.  To be an example of the Perfect Shepherd.  And through all the poopy diapers, potty accidents, plates spilled on the floor, vomiting incidents in the mini-van, and all the other pretty things guiding a Bible Study comes with.....  Ha!  Just kidding.... all the other things motherhood comes with I can remember the crown of glory waiting for me.  And just maybe there will be a little extra jewel for getting to sit with a wonderful group of women every week and talk about Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment