Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Few Verses; A Lot of Issues

In the last few weeks I have been inching my way through 1 Peter 4:8-11.  Yes, four whole verses.  One, because these verses are packed full of goodness and two, because I have been so busy I haven't made time for my quiet times or journaling.  I have read and re-read these verses, mulling over the various strings they tug at in my heart, praying over issues they make me aware of and asking God how I can improve in each of the areas approached.

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins.  Offer hospitality to one another with out grumbling.  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.  If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God.  If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.  To Him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen."

I am hoping to take the time to blog on these verses more throughout the week, but this morning I wanted to touch on vs 10 about using our gifts to serve others.

God showed me something just yesterday as I sat in a meeting feeling pretty crummy.  I have a terrible chest and head cold and was far from 100%.  We went through the meeting and I tried not to cough or sneeze or blow buggers on anyone while I struggled to make sense out of what was going on while keeping things going smoothly and in the order they were supposed to, since I was half-way in charge of leading said meeting. 

We got to a part where we needed to decide who would be presenting our group to our church and telling them about our upcoming year and needs.  No one was very excited about doing it, so I happily volunteered.  Public speaking isn't something that comes easy for me, but it is something that I am fairly good at once I get over myself. 

As I re-read these God Words this morning, He showed me that I was putting verse 10 into action.  You see, I often wish I was more quiet and subdued.  If you know me at all, you know I am not one to hold back, and definitely not shy.  I always secretly envy those that are because I think that people see me as loud and brash (we are always so hard on ourselves aren't we?) and wish that I could be the sweet and gentle gal in the corner. 

Finally, God used this verse to really show me that he gave me my personality for very good reasons.  He gave me my loud, "boisterousness" to serve Him.  Now, this is a gift that can be very dangerous if not administered in God's grace.  Loud and boisterous people can tend to let their mouths get them into trouble, and believe me, mine has (which might be why I often wish I was more quiet) so one must be careful to use this gift in the correct manner.  But, if I were one of these wonderful quiet people, who would have stepped up to present our fabulous group to our church?  God is using me and my loudness to serve Him.

So embrace those gifts that God has given you, even if you secretly wish they were different.  God gave them to you with very specific intentions in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment