Thursday, August 16, 2012

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses....

I have been pretty worthless this week.  I have the mother of all chest colds along with a pretty decent sinus cold as well.  I am not usually one to get sick.  Working with kids all my life, I have just built up a pretty good immune system, so it takes a lot to knock me down.

Knock me down this cold has done!  I cough so hard I can't stand up straight.  My head pounds from sinus pressure, and if I don't take an afternoon nap, I am worthless by 4 pm.  I have tried to boil water for pasta and forgot to put the water in the pot.  I have started the microwave without putting the food in it, and I have left a load of laundry in the washing machine so long that I had to re-wash it - twice!  This is how well my brain is functioning, people. 

With that being said, I have also been pretty whiny.  I am tired, I am sick and I have absolutely no get-up-and-go, so I don't.  My house is a mess.  It is all I can do to get food on the table and pathways cleared for walking.  Then I re-read my 1 Peter verses today and see that "If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides."

My job is to serve my family.  I am the cook.  I am the maid.  I am the taxi.  I am the banker.  I am the alarm clock.  I pretty much do it all.  Most healthy days, it requires strength from God to get everything done that needs to be accomplished, so why have I not looked there this week when I feel so crummy?  Frankly, I am loving the excuse to be able to just sit and do nothing and whine, but after four days my house, health and family is quietly suffering.  They won't say anything because they know I don't feel well, but my kids miss me playing with them.  My husband misses our time together because I have just been checking out early and heading to bed and the mess in the house is surely bothering him as well. 

Time to kick it in gear.  My job is to serve, and yes, I am under the weather, but I am to serve with the strength that God will provide me, and I need to seek that strength instead of wallow in my drug-induced pity.  I need to seek that strength not only when I am sick, but when I am well so that I am serving my family and my God to the best of the ability that He can give me.  Just think of how much more I would get done knowing I wasn't just running on the strength I have alone, but with God! 

Now, its off to the growing laundry pile I go to fold and fold and fold, then some dishes and some cooking and then, maybe a nap?

No comments:

Post a Comment