Monday, August 20, 2012

Bubble

I live in a bubble.  A happy little bubble.  Sure, I've been through my fair share of trials and tribulations, but for the most part my life has been pretty easy. 

The hardest thing I have ever had to deal with is growing up without my mom, but since I was so young when she passed, I don't even remember losing her or what life was like with her.  So, really, I've never known any different and that makes it a little bit easier to bear.  Sure, I have always longed for that true mother-daughter relationship and wonder what it really feels like, but there isn't much I can do about it but experience it with my own daughters.

The next hardest things on my plate have been having some difficulty getting pregnant with our first baby (it took us right at a year) and a miscarriage I had between our 1st and 2nd children.  Devastating, yes, but both things that have helped me grow and relate to many other moms in the same situations. (And I love to think that my mom has her very own grand baby to take care of.)

Seriously, that is all I can think of.  Now, don't get me wrong.  There have been other regular life trials, but nothing out of the ordinary, and I wish for no more.  But looking at this very short list, I almost laugh when I read verses like 1 Peter 4:12-13, "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.  But rejoice that you participate in the suffering of Christ so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed."

"Suffering" is such a vague word to me.  I've got it so easy.  I live life in my quiet, peaceful and happy little bubble and quite honestly expect it to stay this way.  I want to stay in my little world all content and blessed.

Reading things like "Interrupted" and "7" by Jen Hatmaker have made me realize that my bubble world is mostly my choice.  I can choose to stay here or choose to open my eyes to the oppressed and suffering around me.  I can pop my bubble and step into their world.  I need to expand my horizons and really see what others have to endure and suffer through to survive in this day and age outside of my blessed, small town Nebraska life. 

I am still searching for ways to do this.  I am opening my eyes to what really lies beyond and I am excited to share it with you as it comes about.  God is still working out the details for me and I am patiently (or not, but I am trying) waiting to see what He reveals as my call to action.  So far the steps have seemed very, very small and have just blown my bubble slightly larger, but hopefully I'll get to the popping point soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment