Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Worthy Living

In Ephesians 4:1 Paul urges us to live a life worthy of the calling we have received. 

I am I the only 30-something year old that thinks she hasn't really figured out this 'calling' thing?  Yes, I know I am doing the calling of motherhood currently, and I love it (most of the time).  I wouldn't have it any other way.  I love seeing my children grow and learn and be naughty (OK maybe not so much that one).  I love teaching them about Jesus and hearing the words come back out of their mouths.  Just last night at supper my 2-year-old was saying the prayer for us and the first words out of her mouth were, "Dear God, we thank you for Jesus who died on the cross for our sins.  I pray he gets better."  Kid you not.  Exact words.  It is moments like these that melt my heart and help me see my current calling is worth those times I shut myself in the bathroom and cry. (She then went on praying for our pastor - who just had heart surgery - that he would get better, went back to Jesus on the cross, thanked Him for macaroni and that it would also get better....I tried not to take that as a stab to my cooking.)

Anyway, I digress....

I sat here and thought about the word 'calling' for a bit.  Dictionary.com defines calling as: vocation, profession, or trade; a call or summons; a strong impulse or inclination. (I also tried to look it up in Greek/English translations, but didn't get very far with that.  I am still learning how to correctly do that advanced task.) These didn't really answer my questions either. So, I just sat thinking about the calling God gives us and wondering why I feel like I don't really think being a mom is my final calling.  The more I thought and prayed on it, I kind of had this feeling that I was missing something.

You see, I was looking for a calling to be a specific task or job-type thing I will do later in life after the majority of the 'mom' stuff is done. (Yes, I know it will never be fully 'done' but there will be a time when my three children won't require so much of my time and I will need something else to do to fill it.)   I think the Spirit was nudging me to think more openly instead of so specific.  With all my reading on taking care of the poor and orphaned and oppressed lately I have really been wanting some direction and I think I was trying to take this calling thing to that place as well. 

I think the calling we are given as Christians is all the same.  We are to bring glory to God.  As Paul continues to say in the following verses "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.  Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.  There is one body and one Spirit -- just as you  were called to one hope when you were called -- one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all." vs 2-6.  These are the instructions He gives us on how to do that, along with the rest of His Word.

We have been called to be His children through our faith in him.  Cleansed by His grace.  No matter what we do, if we do it with hearts intent on bringing Him the glory, we can't go wrong.  If we do it with humbleness and patience and love, we will please Him. 

It might not be the specific answer I am still looking for, but at least an answer for today.  My calling is to bring glory to Him through love because of the grace He has given me.  As long as my heart is in this 100% the specific tasks of this calling will become clear in His time.

1 comment:

  1. You are so smart! We all look for that one major deal thing we're supposed to accomplish, when the only thing He wants is for us to bring glory to God. I've wasted FAR too much time praying about and considering what my "calling" should be, instead of just doing what is before me each day. When Keygan was a senior in high school, I realized my kids would all be out of the house in 10 years and I prayed for God to show me what I needed to do in those 10 years to be ready for it. He gave me some specifics, but knowing what to do when in those 10 years is still hard to determine. I've driven myself crazy trying to figure it out. Now I just do what is before me, do the little things that come my way each day. Added together they do fall into a pattern. I don't have to figure it out. He does it automatically as I follow His lead.

    It took me years to understand this and look at you, smartypants. Got it already! Now, don't let Satan tell you you're wasting your time. You're living your calling.

    ReplyDelete