Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dangerous Territory

I come to section in James I have heard and thought about many times.  This is what I consider "dangerous territory" for my daily quiet times in the Bible.  It is so easy to mull over them and quickly pass them thinking, "Been there.  Figured it out.  Lets move on."

But God so often has different things for us to learn each and every time we come upon a section of scripture.  The section I speak of today is 2:14-26 where James speaks of faith and deeds.

A very needed part of scripture for every Christian to think on.  As the popular Christian song says, "Faith without action is dead."  For how real is our faith if it is not followed up in actions and deeds.  If we bottle up our faith inside and do nothing about it, how does it grow?  Is stagnant faith even really faith at all?  These are the things I often think on and read about when studying these verses.  Thankfully, my good friend Jen H. has taught me to ask the Holy Spirit for guidance when I read these scriptures.  To ask Him to open my eyes and heart to something new, for something I wouldn't see on my own.

He did just that.

The part that got me most this time was 15 and 16 where he mentions passing by hungry people and wishing them well but doing nothing about it.  If you have been reading my posts for the last months you know I have been diving into this kind of thing and wondering where God is taking me on this journey.  I think this time He is telling me that I have the faith in this area and am searching in the right direction, but my actions are lacking.

I have had all sorts of ideas and thoughts on what to do with this new passion God has given me for the least of His flock, but I haven't done anything more than think on it.  Time to get a little more serious, Shauna.  I can hear Him saying it in these Words.  I have been doing the faith part.  Reading more about it, getting more informed softening my heart for its appearances, and finding the scripture that applies to it.  But I have done absolutely nothing to put it into action.

I keep using the excuse that I don't know what He wants me to do yet.  I keep thinking that I don't think my husband is quite on board with me just yet, and I keep praying that he will be.  (Now before you think of my hubby as heartless, its just that we haven't really taken the time -yes, not doing the actions again- to really sit and talk about it a lot to where I can even let him know exactly where I am)   As I type that out, I think that might be the first action I need to take....how is that for God answering a prayer.  There isn't much I can do in this area without my husband on board, so get him on board I must.  (Thanks for riding along with me on that little epiphany.)

So, chat with the hubby I will.  Then, more actions must follow.  I'll give you an update when I have one....that way you can hold me accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment