Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Trying Too Hard

So my last post was on trying to impress people with my insightful quiet times and God kept hitting me with my 'people pleasing' issues as I keep going.  I have been continuing in my book "Make Over" by Jen Hatmaker (who I get to meet at a conference in March!  I am thrilled!) and got smacked again with my issues to impress.

She talked about trying to impress God and trying to earn your way into his graces by doing good deeds and being a good Christian, a good mother, a good wife, a good "whatever fits your roles".  It is a tough thing to conquer as a Christian who lives in a worldly world but has to remember we are not members of this world. 

The world teaches us that we have to earn everything.  Our money.  Our respect.  Our place in life.  We naturally go on with this thinking in behaving like we have to earn our place with God.  Thinking that He would be disappointed in us if we don't live up to His standards.

God does line up standards of good morals and good decisions in His Word, but the only decision that truly counts is the one to accept His Son as your Savior. 

I found that in all my living to act like I am earning a good place with God, I am really only trying to impress the people around me, making them think I am in a good place with God.  He knows where I truly am with Him, and thankfully, He sees me 'white as snow' because all my faults, shortcomings and screw-ups have been washed away by the blood of the Lamb.  Sure, the good things I do, if done in the right manner, will bring glory to God, so they are not wasted, but God only cares that I place my faith and trust in Him.  Most of the other stuff I do, I do to impress people, not Him. 

Bear with me a moment while I quote Jen on a few things she said that truly socked me right in the gut:

"He doesn't need to change you but needs only to mature you into who you already are."

"How can you become the wife God intended if its only to impress your church friends? How quickly will the well run dry for you as a mother when you can't accomplish everything the books say?"

"Hear this:  You are treasured.  Not because you build self-esteem into your kids or you give your husband sex every time he wants it.  Not because you are on four church committees.  Not because you have an excellent work ethic.  Not because you bring coffee to your friends and watch their kids.  You are treasured because God loves you."

"Your success and failures as a woman don't dictate His feelings toward you.  Get that straight.  Quite living to please others.  Quit living to appease God.    
Just live in freedom.
The rest will come after that, not before."

Do you see why I love her writing?  No roses or meadows here.  Straightforward.  Honest.  In your face.  Just what I need. 

All I have to say is "THANK YOU, GOD!"  I can't do enough to please people.  It is a never ending cycle.  And if I had to do enough to please You, Lord, I would never get there.  Thank You, God, that  I do not have to earn Your grace, only simply accept the gift that it is.  Thank You, God, you don't care if I screw up as long as my heart is with You and I get back to the right place.  Thank You, God for Your Son and the fact that I don't have to doo enough good deeds for a reward of a blissful eternity with You.  Thank You, God for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment