Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Little Goes a Long Way

It only takes a little bad yeast to ruin the whole batch.  One bad thought, one ugly mood can set the stage for an entire day.

I wake up in the morning to get things ready for my family for the day, then go to wake up my kids to get them ready for school only to have them completely crabby at me for dragging them out of their comfortable beds (I try to remind them about how they do this to me every Saturday and Sunday morning when they could sleep in but choose to get up at 6:45....yet I have to drag them out of bed at 6:50 on school days.  Go figure) Anyway, I digress.

I let their crabbing at me turn back at them and before we know it everyone is in a bad mood and I send two grumpy kids out my door and on to school.  Yeah.

OK, so it isn't like this every morning, just a few here and there, but why is it so hard to remember that getting crabby back at them does not help anything?  But it is so easy to see what Paul is talking about here in 1 Cor. 5:6-8.  A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough.  In our house, a little crabbiness works through the whole batch of VW's. 

What a great reminder to clothe myself in the love of Christ and get rid of the 'old yeast' as soon as it shows it's ugly face.  I need to become the new batch with no crabbiness to change the mood for the day and send them off to school with a happy face.

Now, I apply this to a very specific situation, but it certainly applies to most any mood/trend setters throughout our lives.  Ever been at a party with a host who is upset about how something didn't turn out the right way?  Ever been to a family gathering where the Sister-In-Law (just and example) is in a rotten mood?  Ever been in a classroom with a grumpy teacher?  It applies to any situation where more than one gathers.  I even works on more than just moods.  Gossiping?  Bragging?  Complaining?  When one starts it is so easy for everyone else to just jump right on in.

So, be the new trendsetter.  Sweep out the old yeast and bring in some unleavened bread. 

Father, help me sweep out the yeast.  Remind me daily that I help set the mood of my family and I need that mood to be loving and fun.  Also, help me to not fall trap to so many things that try to 'work their way through a group'.  When the situation arises give me the strength the resist wanting to fit in and be the one to stand up for what is right.  Thank you for this reminder and making me aware of this weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment