Friday, February 10, 2012

Love Rocks

Our assignment for today in "Modern Girl's Guide to Bible Study" was to read 1 Corinthians 13.  Easy enough.  And even in the book I am working through on my own right now.  Double score.  It is even just a few days before Valentine's Day and this is the "Love Passage".  Triple score.

The truth of this passage:  Love Rocks.

This is the passage that is read at so many weddings nowadays that it would be hard to find someone who hasn't at least heard it before.  These are the types of passages that I struggle with the most.  The ones you think you know.  It is so easy just to skim over them, recite the pieces  you know in your head along with your reading.  But that isn't what God wants us to do.  He wants us to experience His Word fresh and new every time we get to dive into it.

So here we go.  She asked us to look for the big picture for today.

Love rocks.  There are so many things in this world that are temporary, fake and just plain pointless, but the one you can always count on?  Love. This passage states that love is always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres.  I wonder how many other things you can count on to always do these things?  In my experiences?  Nothing.  Only love. 

Only when things are done through love do they truly count.  Otherwise it is just meaningless noise, half-truths, pointless knowledge and a waste of time. 

One thing love is not?  Selfish. I think that is something big I am getting out of this.  Love always puts the other first, above all else.  It never stops to wonder how it will effect 'him' or what 'he' may lose.  It never even has to stop and think about things like this because it always makes the right choice.

How much easier life would be if we always acted out of love?  Always.  Never stopping to ask, "But what about me?" 

So, Love takes the cake.  Why?  Because God is love and the whole point is to become as much like him as possible, right? 

Love, people.  Sorry for the bad song quote, but, "its all we need."

Father, I have heard and read this passage so many times and I know that you value loving one another so very much.  I know that 'the greatest of these is love'.  Thank you for taking me beyond just the word 'love ' this time and showing me how I struggle with this concept.  I fail to love in the way you do because I am selfish.  I fail to love like you because I want what works for me first.  I want what is comfortable.  I want what I want. Help me, Lord.  Help me move past this.  Help me put love first so that I can become more like you.  Help me love others more.  Help me love you more.

No comments:

Post a Comment