Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Too Much Church and Not Enough Christ

I think the hardest person to bring to salvation is the one who thinks they know what is going on, but is missing the main point.  I was raised this way.  In a church that taught about Jesus and went through all the practices and said all the right things, but was totally missing the part where it takes Jesus changing your heart for it to really count.  You went to church and said all the prayers you had memorized because it was expected of you and because if you didn't people might talk.  But there was no heart in it at all.

"If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgement and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God."  Hebrews 10:26

This verse makes me think of that kind of "Christian".  They do the things they are supposed to, like attend church and help in all the pot lucks held there.  They know The Lord's Prayer and the Apostle's Creed by heart.  Heck, they might even be able to tell you a couple Bible verses.  But knowing Christ has not changed their life.  They keep on keepin' on in the same way everyone around them does and church and God are just Sunday things.

Heaven knows I know way too many people that fall into this category and it pains my heart to think that because they know the truth about Jesus, but have not changed their lives for Him, that they will face the fearful expectation of judgment. 

Problem is, if you try to tell them that they are missing something, they just don't get it.  They know the stories, they were raised in church.  They are good to go.  Even more so, they may get defensive if you suggest that they truly are missing it. 

How do we reach these people?  How do we let them know that there is so much more?  The only answer I have come up with so far:  prayer.  No reasoning or arguing is going to work.  We just have to pray that the light will come on someday.  That it will make sense somehow.  We have to be the example of what it is to truly live our lives for Jesus with Him in our hearts instead of just the knowledge of Him in our heads.  We have to hope that by our example and prayer God will change their hearts and open them up for the real relationship with Christ.

Disclaimer before I offend someone: I am not saying that everyone who attends a church where things are often repeated and recited/says The Lord's Prayer and Apostle's Creed does not have Christ in their hearts and/or have a great relationship with Him.  I would not make this generalization.  I know there are many who attend these churches and have made the decision to follow Christ in their hearts.  Sadly, I just know too many people who fall in the other category and thus pray for them feverishly.

Father, I pray today nothing for myself, but for those I love with all my heart to find you with all of theirs.  Help me, by your power, to be an example for them of what it is to truly give my life to you.  I know I often fall in the category of just wanting to go with the flow and not stand out, but I need to stand out and up for you.  Help my witnessing not be offensive or prideful but only a reflection of you.  Bring their hearts to you and open their eyes so that they may live with you forever in heaven and not have to fear the day of judgment.  Remind me to daily pray for them and their salvation and thank you so very much for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment