Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Starting a New Path and Sailing On

Sin is what separates us.  Good from bad.  God from man. 

1 John 3:5 tells us that we know he appeared so that he might take away our sins.  And in him is no sin.  Verse 6 says "No one who lives in him keeps on sinning.  No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him."

To me, this is another one of those verses where the rubber meets the road.  It helps differentiate the true believers from those who just know the story.  It goes back to the pure heart of the matter.

True believers, who have accepted Christ in their lives and hearts and have a real relationship with Him, will show their gratitude for His sacrifice by the way they live their lives.  This doesn't mean we never mess up and have to fess up, but it means after accepting Christ we start a new path in life.  A new mind set.  A new way of making decisions.  One that follows Him first.

To those who just know the story, well, they just keep the story in the back of their minds for when it might come in handy and keep on trucking.  They continue on the same path.  They might bring the story up when it is convenient and attend church because it is what they are supposed to do, but they do not truly know Him. 

Now, so as not to discount the "story-knowers", they have a start.  At least they have not disregarded the story itself.  Having the knowledge of the story and the presence at church, their door is open much wider than those with nothing at all.  God will use the knowledge of the story and hopefully one day they will take the path of true belief as well.  I pray for these people fervently because, while they might think knowing the story is enough, the real connection they are missing is the actual key to eternity.  This false sense of security is the scary part for me as I know and love way too many people in this category. 

However, I am not God, and I do not know the genuine level of their belief, so I am unable to discern their place in heaven.  I am sure there are some that I think are missing the boat that will join me on it and there will also be some that I believe are with me that will be left behind.  Only God knows this.  But God has given us all the task of trying our best to share what He gives us so that we can all set sail together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment