Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Why Does This Happen To Me?

This is a question we often ask ourselves when trouble finds its way in our front doors, hearts and lives?  When sickness comes.  When death comes.  When pain comes.  Why me?

We often think (if not out loud, at least to ourselves), "Why are you picking on me, God?  I have been devoted to you.  I have been following your Word and doing your will to the best of my ability.  Why would you do this to me?"

I've been there, and I bet you have too.

I absolutely love this section of 1 Peter that I read today for this very reason.  I am not in one of those trying times right now, thankfully.  But it has been there before and when that time comes again, as I know it will, these verses will help me stop before I think or say those questions to God.

2:18-21, "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters will all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also those those who are harsh.  For it commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God.  But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it?  But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.  To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you and example, that you should follow in his steps." 

We often see people in trouble who might lead questionable lives and think, "They got what was coming to them."  Exactly, what Peter is talking about here.

 I often get what I deserve as well.  I sin, I deserve consequences.  I am selfish, I deserve not to get my way every once in a while.

On the other hand, when we suffer unjustly but deal with it gracefully it is a beautiful testimony to God.  A great thing to remember the next time I feel like complaining. 

Honestly, this is almost easier to do in big situations rather than small.  Sometimes, when the doozies come at you turning to God is the first thing you do, but when the small setbacks come your way it is almost a knee jerk reaction just to whine about it.  At least, that is how it is for me.  I often look for God more in the big things than in the small.

This is also a great reminder to remember that God is in everything and in control of everything.  Every minor and major occurrence in my life is a way to glorify Him if I react in the right way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment