Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cravings: Not Just for Pregnant Women

"Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good." 1 Peter 2:2

There are definitely things I crave. Chocolate being the top of that list. I crave chocolate daily, heck, probably even hourly. I love the stuff. If I didn't, I'd be 10 lbs (or more) lighter! The darker, the better. When it comes to chocolate and me the words "too" and "rich" do not cohabitate together. I can never get enough.

Today I read in 1 Peter to crave pure spiritual milk. My translation, "Crave God's Word." I should hunger after the Bible like I do chocolate. My soul should think about it every day, every hour and search for His truths in it, like I do for chocolate in my pantry.

My previous experiences and learning in His Word should show me how good it is for me and how much it will help me grow. And this is a good growth, unlike the growth bestowed by too many cravings for chocolate. Craving knowledge from God will lead me away from all selfish and destructive things and to His will for my life.

This is so much better than the temporary sugar high of chocolate. Why don't I feel like I crave it near enough? God's Word will complete me, not leaving me jittery from sugar. It will guide my every thought, not increase the numbers on the scale. Perhaps every time I have a craving for chocolate I should divert myself to go read my Bible?

I do know that the more consistently I am in the Word, the more I notice when I skip a day. Maybe it is just that the cravings feel a bit different so they are harder to recognize? I think it is definitely true that the more you have it the more you want it.

So belly up to the bar and eat your fill. Cravings aren't just for pregnant women or chocolate. God's Word is the only thing that could truly satisfy a craving that will last an eternity and not have any side effects from over consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment