Friday, July 22, 2011

A Passage of Question

Romans 5: 1-11 Ananias and Sapphira

Oh, how this story has always troubled me.  If anyone reading this has more insight to it, please share.  I have never quite understood everything that occurs in this short little section of scripture.

Everyone else in their group of believers was sharing everything they had equally with all of the others.  No one was in need and no one had too much.  They were all equal.  Yet, for some reason Ananias and Sapphira felt the need to hold some back just for themselves.  What was their motivation behind this?  In such a group of strong believers who were living out loud for God, Peter can only explain it well.  "How is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit?"  Only such selfishness in a group of equality could come from the devil.

Yet, the thing that troubles me most is how both are stricken dead for their lie.  Isn't the message forgiveness?  Neither man nor wife are given the chance to repent of their sin.  In my Study Bible, the footnote tells me that since this was the first account of deceit in the church the consequences had to be serious so as to be an example of how God will not stand for hypocrisy and deceit.  This I do understand, but I still struggle with the raw wrath that was shown in their punishment.  To me, it seems more like the God of the old covenant than the new. 

But, who am I to argue with the Bible or God's decisions on matters?  The good Lord knows that if consequences for far more serious matters were this stringent in today's society, we might have far fewer social issues.  Maybe that is the lesson I am supposed to learn.  Trust His decisions and fear His true consequences...  Probably a good point.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment