Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Not So Far From Stupid

Its one of those things that you look at from the outside and go, "Seriously?  How in the world do they not see how stupid they look? or how stupid they are being?"  Yes, I realize I could find a nicer word to use, but when it comes right down to it, that's just what it is.  Stupid.  We see things like it all the time out and about in this crazy world we live in.  People who are about to wipe out because they aren't paying attention.  People who make scenes in public places.  People who make questionable clothing choices.  And so on.

This thought came upon me again while reading on through Revelation and the seven trumpets.  You know, the plagues and all that yucky stuff.  Blood and locusts and falling stars and burning things.  Scary stuff.  Serious stuff.  Stuff that makes me think, "I am so glad I will not be around for this!"

At the end of the Sixth Trumpet John tells us, "The people who did not die in these plagues still refused to repent of their evil deeds and turn to God." (Rev. 9:20)  It goes on to list their many, terrible sins, and my mind immediately went, "Seriously?  How in the world do they no see how stupid they are?  How did they miss these obvious signs from God.  Could it be any more 'in their face'?"

But then the Holy Spirit threw in one of its "stop being so high and mighty on yourself" thoughts in my head.

It is so easy to judge from the outside.  "Why do people continue to smoke?  Don't they know it can kill them?"  "Why is she wearing that shirt that is obviously two sizes too small for her?"  "How can you not see God the seven trumpets' plagues?  Isn't it pretty obvious how powerful He is?"

We see these things and make our quick judgments, but fail to stop and think about other factors that might figure into the big picture.  Maybe someone they admired got them hooked on nicotine and now they don't have the resources or know how to kick the highly addictive habit?  Maybe she is a single mom who has put on some weight due to the high stress of supporting her family on her own and cannot afford to buy herself new clothes because her kids need them more? 

I can't really come up with a good explanation for the people who don't see God, but it has to be there.  And really, I know I have things that are pretty obvious, in-my-face, things that I know I should change in my life too.  But it is hard.  It is so hard to change things that you are used to doing.  It is hard to stop things that aren't good for you but you enjoy them anyway. 

The Holy Spirit opened my eyes.  I have things that I know I should change, things I pray about changing, things I want to change, but I continue on down the same road without changing them because the change is too hard or inconvenient, or it admits a weakness or failure.  Change that we know is best, but don't really want, is hard.

So, I find myself thinking, "I'm not that far from those stupid people who went through those plagues and still did not turn to God.  I'm just stupid in another way." 

We all fall short of the glory of God. (Rom 3:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment