Saturday, March 30, 2013

More than Easter

As I have been working through Isaiah 53 this week it has really hit me, "Why does this stuff cut me so deep mainly at Easter time?"  Now, don't get me wrong, there are many times I'm just singing along to a song in church or on the radio and it hits me in the gut.  Many times I'll just burst into tears singing along to the music and really thinking about what the words say.  Music is what gets me.

But it is at Easter where this is almost an everyday occurrence.  It is during this time that I can read scripture and be pierced to the very soul.  Why?  Why mostly now?  Doesn't it mean the same thing every single day?  Shouldn't it have the same effect on my heart every time I think of His sacrifice; His blood stained body; His brokenness?

I have really been thinking on this as I have read the words in Isaiah 53, "He was beaten so we could be whole, He was whipped so we could be healed (5b)..... No one cared that He died without descendants, that his life was cut short in midstream (8b)."  Heart wrenching words, condemnation and guilt.  What a weight to carry, to know He went through this for me.

But yet, most days, it is just something I take for granted.  It isn't something that makes me stop and really feel the weight of the grief and the gratefulness for the salvation every single day.  It is something I take for granted all to often.  This realization bothered me.  It is my new goal.  Every time I sit with Him in prayer or in His Word, or talk about Him with my kids, or thank Him for a small blessing, I am challenging myself to stop and really, truly feel the weight of His sacrifice and the weightlessness of His forgiveness and let it cut me to the core.  More than just at Easter. 

Do you do this too?  Is it easy for you to take this awesome gift for granted?  Do you have any tricks or triggers to help you remember to really take it all in; to let it effect you more deeply?



No comments:

Post a Comment