Monday, March 25, 2013

Prophesy and Falling in Love

Please pardon my absence for the last couple of weeks.  I really have been reading my Bible, but I have kind of slacked on my journaling.  Not sure why.  Just needed a break from my computer for a little bit I think.  But I always seem to get more out of what I read if I process through talking to someone about it, and since I don't have someone at my house to chat with (on an adult level that is) on a daily basis during my quiet times, typing it out on here pretending to talk to someone works.

So, after chatting with my friend last week on what I had been reading, she shared that she had just read Isaiah 53, which is a fabulous chapter of the Bible on the prophesy of Jesus.  I usually steer clear of Isaiah, minus some of my favorite verses and chapters, because it is mostly prophesy, aka confusing to me.  But 53 is pretty easy to break apart because we have the clear answers in the New Testament and since it is the week before Easter, I thought this chapter would be very fitting to read.

Hang in there.  Like I said, I am not much of one for figuring all this stuff out so I'll just be stumbling through.

I love the second part of verse 2:  There was nothing beautiful or majestic about His appearance, nothing to attract us to Him.  When you think about falling in love with someone, usually the first thing to happen is visual attraction.  Granted, this isn't always true, but for the most part it is pretty typical.  But, Isaiah tells us here that there was nothing to cause us to be attracted to Jesus initially.  He looked just like anyone else and didn't gain attention through His looks.  He gained attention by what He did.

We love Jesus because of what He did for us, the love He gave to us, and the hope He places in our hearts.  Oh, there are so many more reasons we love Jesus; His Word, His promise, His peace.  The list could go on and on.  But none of them have to do with anything on how He looks.  When your heart is so full of love from Him and for Him, He already is majestic and beautiful.  I can think of nothing more attractive than seeing His face on the day I join Him in glory.  Just the thought of it brings tears to my eyes. 

But thankfully, it is His love that attracts us to Him and not His looks because we all know how things end up when you base a relationship the other way around.  I am pretty sure I am nothing special to look at compared to the beautiful and majestic things He sees everyday, but He knows my heart and finds it beautiful as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment