Wednesday, February 13, 2013

No Greater Joy

3 John 1:4 "I could have not greater joy than to hear that my children are following in the truth."

This was the verse we chose for our youngest's dedication verse.  Truly, there could be nothing greater than to know that your children love Jesus and live their lives for Him.  It is really our ultimate goal as parents and it is amazing that God would use us to further His kingdom in such a way. 

But, here, obviously, John is not talking about his literal children.  He is simply talking of people that he has helped teach or lead to Christ.  While teaching our children about Jesus is an amazing task that brings great joy, I have to say that leading others to Christ is a tiny bit more thrilling. 

Don't get me wrong, if I want anyone to join me in heaven that glorious day, I want it to be my own kids, but in the same sense, they are my kids.  I know I have to minister to them.  I love sharing Jesus with them, and frankly, they don't really have any other choice at this point.  My kiddos are still little enough that whatever mommy and daddy say is the truth.  They haven't really gotten to the point of questioning higher thinking and all that jazz.  So, now it is just fun to fill their little heads with knowledge of Him.  Fun stories, amazing promises and a love beyond measure.  They are stuck with it every single day.  And I pray, every single day, that they will love it every day of their lives no matter how old they get.  But like I said, I am their mom, it is my job to do this, and a great job to have.

So, I find it more thrilling to have God use me in an eternal way to help Him lead someone to Christ outside of the confines of my family.  It is more challenging to find them, to reach them, to teach them and to really connect with them.  It is amazing to me to think that God would use me to do such a huge thing.  And frankly, there is no greater joy to find out that you were a tool in His plan to teach someone about Jesus. 

I found out not too long ago that God's leading me to start a Bible Study for young moms using Jen Hatmaker's book "A Modern Girl's Guide to Bible Study" was a big part in the process of leading at least two women to a real, personal relationship with Christ.  It was nothing I did.  I just followed His lead to set a time and date to meet and pass out the books.  He used it and now I can be sure to have two more amazing friends by my side in heaven.  No. Greater. Joy.

He also used me and two other girls as tools to lead another mom to ask about this personal relationship with Christ.  We held a Tea and Testimony night for MOPS a few months ago where three moms, including myself, shared our testimonies.  Through our stories of how we found Christ and a personal relationship with him, a mom who attended met with one of our mentor moms to find out more about Christ.  No. Greater. Joy.

Humbling.  There is no better word.  I am not special.  I talk too much and listen to little.  I am pushy and loud.  I hardly have any scripture memorized.  I yell at my kids too much.  I fail to get my quiet times done every day.  I am selfish and lazy.  But God used me.  He used me to further His Kingdom.  It makes me tear up just to think about it.  The joy that it brings to my heart to know that His Book of Life has grown by three because He used me cannot be put into words and it makes me hunger to be available for His use even more. 

So I pray:  Use me God.  How can I help further your kingdom now?  I want more because everyone should have this joy and promise in their hearts and lives.  Use me.  Give me that joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment