Friday, February 1, 2013

False Information

"False Information" This was a random phrase that entered my head the other day as I walked from my kitchen to my living room.  Now, I have no clue what I was going to do or get or put away, but the words just hit me and it all clicked. 

You see, I had been reading 2 John 7-11 for two days trying to figure out what it all meant.  Yes, there are false prophets trying to lead you astray from the Word of God and the real life Jesus, but I feel pretty protected from that.  I know God's Word, I know Jesus.  I'm not going to fall behind some lunatic trying to tell me that Jesus was this or that when it is clearly not true.  And yes, I need to be sure to continue on the right path in staying in God's Word and knowing Jesus to guard my heart from any threats in the future, but I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with all the false prophet verses I am always reading about in the Bible.  It has to apply to me somehow in a more 'right now' type of fashion.

True, not all scripture is meant for a 'right now' reading.  God might just be preparing us for something down the road.  He might just be making sure we have the information and verses we need to arm ourselves for what is coming.  This is useful.  But, I just had the feeling there was something more to what I was supposed to get from these verses to use now.

And what I got was "false information."  Now, this is far from a life-altering message from the Holy Spirit, but nonetheless it was a message direct from Him.  One of those things He just spoke right into my head because, lets face it, I didn't come up with that on my own just going about my daily tasks almost 24 hours after I had read it last.

Our world is full of false prophets in the form of false information.  They might not be leading us astray from Christ, but they sure pull us away from more important things He might have us do.  We get sucked into scams, or give-aways, or even, sadly, following stories of poor sick children that could be entirely made up.  There are false news reports of who did what and even false warnings of dangers that don't even exist.  We 'share' them on Facebook and forward them onto friends without even stopping to clarify what we just saw is true.  We are feeding into it.  We get sucked in, having no clue what we really just took part in.  All while we partake of this false information.

So, stay informed; figure it out; check your sources; stay on task.  Today, it may seem like no big deal, but if we are so quick to fall into small little schemes backed by false information today, who's to say it won't make it easier to be victims of a larger one tomorrow simply because we have become numb to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment