Monday, February 18, 2013

A Part of the Field

Many times I look at missionaries and wish I could be one of them.  Many times I look at them and wonder how in the world they do it.  Many times I think there is no way I could ever make it work.  Many times I hunger to go see what it is really like outside of the comfy little world where I live.  Many times it scares the socks off of me to think of when I actually might be called to go.

I have never had the pleasure of going on any type of missions trip.  Growing up my church didn't do them and once I learned about them, I had small children who would make it very hard to leave.  Now, I just wonder when it will be my turn. 

As you can see, I have very mixed feelings on missions work.  On one side I stand awe-struck wondering at the way they must see God and how God uses them in such a direct and amazing way.  I want to be a part of that.  I want God to use me in that way.  I want to be challenged.  On the other side I am fear-struck as to how it would all work and how it might rock the cozy little bubble in which I currently reside.

Today I read a little farther in 3 John and was reminded that I don't have to be out in the missions field to be a part of it.  Verse 8 tells us, "So we ourselves should support them so we can be their partners as they teach the truth."  This shows me that I can be a partner in their work by things I do here.  I can pray for them, I can offer them hospitality when they come back to my area, I can help fund their work.  This may seem menial and it still keeps me in my 'bubble' but it is a very necessary and vital part of the missions field.

I no doubt have the feeling that God is preparing my heart for direct missions work in the future, but I can also feel he is telling me to not let the fact that it is not time for me to be out there right now bother me.  Sometimes I feel like it isn't enough.  That I don't really understand it all because I am in my bubble.  That I don't really matter.  But God is showing me here, that through my prayers, hospitality and financial help I am a partner with those who are out there. 

One day it will be my turn.  I have that desire and I know that God will use me in that way, but for now I need to be satisfied in the fact that I am following God's will for what He wants me to be doing right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment