Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Holy Rest

God's timing is perfect, isn't it?  After a week of nothing but planning, preparing and running for way too many things in a 5 day span, God perfectly planned for me to do my Bible Study on nothing other than rest.  In this 5 day span I had a teacher appreciation breakfast to help plan/cook for, appointment in Lincoln, program practice for my older kids, birthday party for my son with family of 20+ attendees, a half marathon, the spring kid's program at our church, our final MOPS meeting, a thank you luncheon for our Moppets workers, treats to take to my son's school, and my son's birthday party with a few classmates/friends.  I am barely still awake/walking. 

Welcome to a study on rest, girlie.  Now, before you are ready for a profound post, I must warn you this is going to be short and to the point because I am too pooped to do anything else and I plan to listen to what I learned. 

The main thing I got from this is that rest is holy.   It is not just something God wants us to do, or something that is beneficial or necessary for us to do.  It is something that God created to be holy.  It is not lazy or selfish (if done the way God intended), it is something God commands us to obey. 

Holy is defined as: specially recognized as or declared sacred by religious use or authority; consecrated: dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion.  I never viewed rest in this way and I hope I can take it a little bit more seriously now that I do.

Rest is something God did Himself.  He does not need or require rest, but He does it anyway and expects us to do the same.  I love how my Study Bible defines why God took the 7th day to rest:  God rested on the 7th day, not because he was eary, but because nothing formless remained.  his creative work was completed -- and it was totally effectice, absolutely perfect, "very good".  It dd not have to be repeated, repaired or revised, andt ehCreator rested to commemorate it.

I think the work commemorate is perfect.  Do you ever take time to have some holy rest to commemorate the work that you have done?  If not, you should.  Join me!




No comments:

Post a Comment