Thursday, June 23, 2011

Gifts from God

Today's reading - Acts 2:36-41

All too often we take our gifts from God for granted.  Yes, we recognize so many things in our lives as gifts from our Heavenly Father.  We know our blessed children are gifts, and maybe when they are being really good or do something that makes us proud, we stop and thank Him for them.  Maybe you are exceptionally good and thank Him even when they are driving you nuts.  I am still working on that one!

We know that our husbands, families, homes, money, lives, etc., etc. are wonderful gifts from God, but today in Acts 2:38 it talks of receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit.  In my opinion (take it for what it is worth, which isn't too much), the greatest gift we receive from God is His grace.  The fact that if we believe in His Son and that He died on the cross for our sins, God gives us His grace and forgives our sins amazes me.  Every time I screw up and have to beg for mercy I am covered in Gods wonderful grace.  How often do I thank him for this?  Definitely not often enough, but it is surly one of those things I do remember to thank him for quite often. 

The Holy Spirit?  Now that is one that is often not on my 'thankful' list, but it is one of God's great gifts that is received once we repent and believe.  Having the Holy Spirit living in me, being that 'little voice of reason' guiding me on the right path is, without a doubt, something very important.  So often we take this for granted, just chalking it up to our conscience.  But as Christians we need to recognize it as the true gift that it is.  It is God speaking to us through the gift He gave us when we came to believe in His Son.  It is what helps me decide when in a pickle, it is what helps me 'see' what God is trying to tell me when I am reading His Word, it is what gives me that little nudge when I see something beautiful and remember that it is a masterpiece of God.  The Holy Spirit is important.

How about you?  Have to stopped to thank Him today for anything?  Do you refer to the Holy Spirit's guidance as your conscience?  I challenge you to change your thought process and recognize it as the gift that it truly is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment