Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rebellion

Today's assignment in our Modern Girl's Guide to Bible Study was to elaborate on a definition of a word in Psalm 68:5-10.  Verse six says "God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing: but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land. 

Oddly, I chose the word rebellion.  Or maybe it isn't so odd. Dictionary.com defines rebellion as resisting control or authority, and to feel or express strong unwillingness.

At first glance in reading the entire verse including this word, I automatically eliminated myself from the rebellious category.  I am part of God's family.  I have accepted His forgiveness through the power of the blood shed by Jesus Christ.  There.  Not rebelling against God's love.  Right?

But that is when the Holy Spirit gave me that little nudge.  "Hold up, girl.  This isn't just a generality.  Every day.  Every decision.  Every path is a choice to follow God's will or rebel and go it on your own."

Truth.  Socks ya square in the jaw every time doesn't it?

Every time I choose to do my own thing because I know what is best for me, I rebel against God and include myself in that category.  And every single time I find out my decision not to pray about it, not to follow His will, no matter how hard or uncomfortable it might be, I find myself in that sun-scorched land.  I find myself separated from Him.  Hurting.  Lonely.  Trapped. 

It isn't worth it.  Those places are not fun. 

But, if I follow God's will.  If I seek His guidance with all of my heart and go where He tells me, I am united with Him again.  I am part of His family.  I am set free of my guilt, pain, regrets and all that other junk and singing His praises.  I can also end up back in His graces if I seek His forgiveness after making those rebellious choices. 

It is so much better to be in the land 'flowing with milk and honey' in sync with my Father than lonely and imprisoned in a sun-scorched land.  Even though it may not always be easy or the most 'fun' choice.  The end results are always so much better than going it on my own.  Hands. Down.



No comments:

Post a Comment