Monday, January 30, 2012

Dancing Monkeys

I had to steal this title from my "Make Over" book today.  Jen Hatmaker never ceases to make me laugh and punch me in the gut at the same time.

Who do you dance for?  Basically, this was the question for the day.  For whom and why are we dancing in this life? 



She used the Old Testament story of Elijah and the 3 1/2 years it didn't rain in Israel as a comparison.  The people of Israel had been dancing for Baal instead of God, so God stopped the rain.  Finally, when Israel became desperate for rain, God sent Elijah to the king.  Elijah set up a little competition of sorts for Baal and God.  The prophets of Baal were to set up an altar to him and have him miraculously set the sacrifice on fire.  The prophets danced, and sang, and sliced themselves open screaming until they were hoarse.  Of course, Baal didn't do a thing.  Up to the plate stepped Elijah, had them douse the altar with water.  Upon the first simple request for God to set it on fire, a fire so large and hot burned up the entire altar, sacrifice and trench of water surrounding it.  God's power brought the Israelites back to Him, declaring He was, indeed, the One True God.  Finally, with their hearts in the right place, God opened up the flood gates and let it rain.

So, who do you dance for?  In modern day America there aren't too many likenesses to Baal, but more socially acceptable gods such as money and power and social status. 

God caught me in the mix of it.  Now that I have kids in school I am totally catching myself getting caught up in the whole "popularity' thing again.  I was never Ms. Popular in school.  I wasn't an outcast by any means, or the Homecoming Queen.  I always fell right in the middle, a friend to everyone, but never the first pick.  I still feel that way in most circles that I run in.  I dance for friends.  How sad is that.  I want people to like me.  I want them to invite me over for play dates and supper with friends and jewelry parties and girls' nights.  If I find out that one of these things happened and I was not included, my feelings are hurt and I go through a little pity party dance. 

This chapter was such an awesome reminder that popularity or numbers of friends will not ever fulfill me.  I could be the most adored mom at MOPS or Tri-County schools, but still feel empty inside if I am not seeking GOD with all my heart instead of friends.

Three quotes from this chapter were highlighted and will be read and re-read as often as I can, to remind me where my One True Friend really is.

"Either perform for a merciless audience of humanity, or dance for an audience of One.  There is no middle stage."

After discussing God watching His people dance like lunatics for Baal she says, "God's heart ached with grief, as it does today when we engage in the same futile dance."

"Believer, the drought [of dancing for other things and receiving nothing] can be over.  Lift your eyes to heaven and let God's rain pour down.  Let it rain.  Tilt your face toward God and let it rain.  Get off the stage of humanity and let it rain.  Quit wasting your life trying to measure up and let it rain.  Stop the feverish dance and let it rain. Discover that your value exists because God takes pleasure in you and let it rain.  Let it rain."

So, if you aren't dancing for God, your dancing is futile and pointless and you look ridiculous.  So, are you going to dance like a monkey or dance to the praise and worship of our Lord?

Lord God, I am so glad that you do take pleasure in me.  I am so thankful that I can find my true value resting in your hands.  I am so sorry for making your heart ache with grief when I dance for friends.  Please forgive me and help me to turn only to you for acceptance.  Change my heart God.  This is something I have struggled with all my life and I need your help.  Help me not seek acceptance and popularity in friends, but only in your arms.  Remind me of this when I waiver.  I want to dance for you and you alone.  Help me to learn this today so that I can pass this on to my children as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment