Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Lesson in Prayer

Another post on an 'assignment' from Modern Girl's Guide.

Nehemiah.  Not a overly well-known man of the Bible.  Yes, one of it's book's name bearers, but not an overly-popular .  Most have heard the name due to its presence in the OT, but might not know the full story.  Well, I am not telling it here - it is too long, but check it out for yourself.  It is pretty good.

Anyway, our 'job' today is to look at the prayer Nehemiah cries out to God after he hears of the destruction of Jerusalem.  The first thing that stands out to me is his heart.

First off, Neh (that is what I am going to call him from here on out, because I am lazy and that is a long name to type) totally prepares his heart to go before God.  He fasts and mourns and says other prayers to God and then brings about his final plea.  He doesn't just offer up a 'Hail  Mary' prayer, or shout in anger and wonder "Why?".  He totally jumps in mind, body and soul into an all out plea for his nation.  Actually, his nation, but one he doesn't personally know.  He was cupbearer to the king in another place.

Anyway, his heart is prepared.  Neh has given great thought to what is going on in Jerusalem and to it's people.  He has been talking with God the whole time and trying to figure out the right path, the right prayer to where God is leading Him. 

Neh starts off by praising God and recognizing His power and love.  The love he recognizes here is the word used for "faithful love, the kind that honors a covenant through thick and thin. (I stole that from my Study Bible footnotes, lest you be impressed with knowledge I did not previously posses) He asks for God's attention and tells him where he stands.  He confesses his sins, his father's sins and his nation's sins, recognizing that none of them are worthy of the dust God placed on the earth. 

The next word almost cracks me up, "Remember".  Like God ever forgets.  Ha!  But, Neh is calling him out.  He is pointing out that he remembers, that he has paid attention to what God told them.  Neh remembers God's love and promises to them and is pleading with God to act upon what was promised to them.  This takes heart. 

Most times I go into a prayer just winging it.  Do all the necessary 'things' and pray for those that need it.  Then I get to myself and the things I feel I need prayer for in my life and I can't help but feel a bit guilty asking for 'more'.  I already have all I need.  I wonder and pray what God's plan is for the things that I pray about.  But here, Neh knows God's plan.  He has faithfully recalled the promises God made to his nation and knows them in his heart.  He knows God will answer.  I think the only part Neh didn't know was when God would choose to answer. 

This is a prayer from the depths of a heart of a man who knows his God.  He knows Him very intimately and on a very personal level.  That is the only explanation for the sincerity of this prayer.

I can only hope that I can learn to pray like this.  Not that prayer has to be fancy and lengthy or impressive at all.  God only wants our hearts.  But when our hearts are in total sync with His because we are that familiar with Him, we know that our prayers will be more sincere as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment